The words “Let my people go!” memorialized in the spiritual, “Go Down, Moses,” are only half-right. In the Bible, “Let my people go” is followed by “and serve Me.” True freedom requires purpose. Without direction, we will serve some undesirable master, even after we are liberated from that which enslaves us. That’s why Psalms urges us not only to “turn from evil,” but also to “do good, seek peace and pursue it.” How are you using your freedom purposefully?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Purim and the Responsibilities of Privilege February 28, 2018
- Virginia House of Delegates Invocation, February 23, 2018 February 23, 2018
- Inauguration Benediction January 14, 2018
- Statement about the President’s Islamophobic Tweets December 1, 2017
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017