The words “Let my people go!” memorialized in the spiritual, “Go Down, Moses,” are only half-right. In the Bible, “Let my people go” is followed by “and serve Me.” True freedom requires purpose. Without direction, we will serve some undesirable master, even after we are liberated from that which enslaves us. That’s why Psalms urges us not only to “turn from evil,” but also to “do good, seek peace and pursue it.” How are you using your freedom purposefully?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Here’s the Advice I Would Give to New Rabbis… June 25, 2017
- 6 Years as a Rabbi: What I’ve Learned June 16, 2017
- Do You control Your Monuments, or Do They Control You? – Shavuot 2017 June 2, 2017
- Remarks from Richmond Rally Against Muslim Ban May 9, 2017
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017