The words “Let my people go!” memorialized in the spiritual, “Go Down, Moses,” are only half-right. In the Bible, “Let my people go” is followed by “and serve Me.” True freedom requires purpose. Without direction, we will serve some undesirable master, even after we are liberated from that which enslaves us. That’s why Psalms urges us not only to “turn from evil,” but also to “do good, seek peace and pursue it.” How are you using your freedom purposefully?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017
- Three Essentials to Pack for Your Journey – Kol Nidrei 2017 October 1, 2017
- After Charlottesville, Be a Light – Rosh Hashanah 2017 September 24, 2017