Imitate God, not Pharaoh. According to Rabbi Aryeh Cohen, that’s the message of the Passover story. God hears the cries of the Israelites and, with aroused compassion, works to end their suffering. Pharaoh doesn’t allow his heart to be stirred. He refuses to listen, even when the Israelites painfully cry out to him. Compassion is instinctive if we permit ourselves to hear the cries of the oppressed. Passover asks, will we be like God and choose to hear, or will we be like Pharaoh and choose to ignore?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 6 Years as a Rabbi: What I’ve Learned June 16, 2017
- Do You control Your Monuments, or Do They Control You? – Shavuot 2017 June 2, 2017
- Remarks from Richmond Rally Against Muslim Ban May 9, 2017
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016