Imitate God, not Pharaoh. According to Rabbi Aryeh Cohen, that’s the message of the Passover story. God hears the cries of the Israelites and, with aroused compassion, works to end their suffering. Pharaoh doesn’t allow his heart to be stirred. He refuses to listen, even when the Israelites painfully cry out to him. Compassion is instinctive if we permit ourselves to hear the cries of the oppressed. Passover asks, will we be like God and choose to hear, or will we be like Pharaoh and choose to ignore?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Purim and the Responsibilities of Privilege February 28, 2018
- Virginia House of Delegates Invocation, February 23, 2018 February 23, 2018
- Inauguration Benediction January 14, 2018
- Statement about the President’s Islamophobic Tweets December 1, 2017
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017