Imitate God, not Pharaoh. According to Rabbi Aryeh Cohen, that’s the message of the Passover story. God hears the cries of the Israelites and, with aroused compassion, works to end their suffering. Pharaoh doesn’t allow his heart to be stirred. He refuses to listen, even when the Israelites painfully cry out to him. Compassion is instinctive if we permit ourselves to hear the cries of the oppressed. Passover asks, will we be like God and choose to hear, or will we be like Pharaoh and choose to ignore?
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017
- Three Essentials to Pack for Your Journey – Kol Nidrei 2017 October 1, 2017
- After Charlottesville, Be a Light – Rosh Hashanah 2017 September 24, 2017