When Moses assumes the Israelites won’t believe that God has sent him to liberate them, God replies, “Tell them ‘Eheyeh’ (‘I will be’) sent you.” Moses’ message is not that there is a God, but that there is a future. Faith is not about accepting an axiom, but rejecting despair. And redemption begins only when we feel the “audacious longing, burning songs, daring thoughts” that drive us to reach out and break free.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- The World is Yours, But it Doesn’t Belong to You June 15, 2018
- What’s Driving Jews Away From Synagogues? Not Dues, but ‘Membership’ June 8, 2018
- Haspel nomination reignites torture debate May 29, 2018
- A Powerful Conversation at Governor Northam’s Interfaith Passover Seder May 28, 2018
- 30 Days of Liberation 2018 April 12, 2018