The Bible remarks that a “mixed multitude” left Egypt with the Children of Israel, a group that, according to our rabbis, included Egyptians and other non-Israelites who were moved to join the freed slaves. This multitude of aliens was absorbed as part of the fledgling nation. The Exodus story challenges us to build communities of equality and inclusivity for all, regardless of background. In this way, we embody the axioms that we are all created in God’s image, and that human dignity outweighs all other commandments.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017
- Three Essentials to Pack for Your Journey – Kol Nidrei 2017 October 1, 2017
- After Charlottesville, Be a Light – Rosh Hashanah 2017 September 24, 2017