The Bible remarks that a “mixed multitude” left Egypt with the Children of Israel, a group that, according to our rabbis, included Egyptians and other non-Israelites who were moved to join the freed slaves. This multitude of aliens was absorbed as part of the fledgling nation. The Exodus story challenges us to build communities of equality and inclusivity for all, regardless of background. In this way, we embody the axioms that we are all created in God’s image, and that human dignity outweighs all other commandments.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016
- Remarks at Interfaith Standing Together Press Conference December 1, 2016
- From Great to Good: Rosh Hashanah Day 2, 5777 October 11, 2016
- One Community, One Campus: Rosh Hashanah Day 1, 5777 October 5, 2016