The Bible remarks that a “mixed multitude” left Egypt with the Children of Israel, a group that, according to our rabbis, included Egyptians and other non-Israelites who were moved to join the freed slaves. This multitude of aliens was absorbed as part of the fledgling nation. The Exodus story challenges us to build communities of equality and inclusivity for all, regardless of background. In this way, we embody the axioms that we are all created in God’s image, and that human dignity outweighs all other commandments.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Here’s the Advice I Would Give to New Rabbis… June 25, 2017
- 6 Years as a Rabbi: What I’ve Learned June 16, 2017
- Do You control Your Monuments, or Do They Control You? – Shavuot 2017 June 2, 2017
- Remarks from Richmond Rally Against Muslim Ban May 9, 2017
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017