Why is Moses’ standing up to the world’s most powerful king ‘confidence,’ his refusal to back down ‘conviction,’ while Pharaoh’s refusal to listen is ‘arrogance,’ his inability to change ‘stubbornness’? Because Pharaoh was always convinced of his own rightness, and was fighting for his own power. Meanwhile, Moses constantly questioned himself and his mission. And he was fighting for others, even if it meant self-sacrifice. Doubt, humility, and selflessness represent the fine line between confidence and arrogance, conviction and stubbornness.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016
- Remarks at Interfaith Standing Together Press Conference December 1, 2016
- From Great to Good: Rosh Hashanah Day 2, 5777 October 11, 2016
- One Community, One Campus: Rosh Hashanah Day 1, 5777 October 5, 2016