Before we tell of our bondage and our freedom on Passover eve, we break a piece of matzah. We eat broken bread to experience poverty. In the past, only the wealthy could afford whole loaves; the poor ate pieces. If we approach suffering and injustice as mere concepts, we will never do what is necessary to alleviate them. When we experience what it is like to be oppressed, we will see how intolerable it is and what needs to be fixed, and move swiftly to end injustices of any kind.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016
- Remarks at Interfaith Standing Together Press Conference December 1, 2016
- From Great to Good: Rosh Hashanah Day 2, 5777 October 11, 2016
- One Community, One Campus: Rosh Hashanah Day 1, 5777 October 5, 2016