We place a broken piece of matzah between two whole loaves because all of us harbor brokenness inside, hiding our pain, sorrow, anger, guilt, and shame under a veneer of wholeness. In this ritual, Passover reminds us, “There’s a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” When we acknowledge, confront, and repair the ruptures under our masks, we can free ourselves to live lives of wholeness and blessing.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016
- Remarks at Interfaith Standing Together Press Conference December 1, 2016
- From Great to Good: Rosh Hashanah Day 2, 5777 October 11, 2016
- One Community, One Campus: Rosh Hashanah Day 1, 5777 October 5, 2016