We place a broken piece of matzah between two whole loaves because all of us harbor brokenness inside, hiding our pain, sorrow, anger, guilt, and shame under a veneer of wholeness. In this ritual, Passover reminds us, “There’s a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” When we acknowledge, confront, and repair the ruptures under our masks, we can free ourselves to live lives of wholeness and blessing.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017
- Three Essentials to Pack for Your Journey – Kol Nidrei 2017 October 1, 2017
- After Charlottesville, Be a Light – Rosh Hashanah 2017 September 24, 2017