We place a broken piece of matzah between two whole loaves because all of us harbor brokenness inside, hiding our pain, sorrow, anger, guilt, and shame under a veneer of wholeness. In this ritual, Passover reminds us, “There’s a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” When we acknowledge, confront, and repair the ruptures under our masks, we can free ourselves to live lives of wholeness and blessing.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 6 Years as a Rabbi: What I’ve Learned June 16, 2017
- Do You control Your Monuments, or Do They Control You? – Shavuot 2017 June 2, 2017
- Remarks from Richmond Rally Against Muslim Ban May 9, 2017
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016