Rahtzah, hand washing, is the bridge between story and feast. Story is about memory; the meal, life. Water is often used as a metaphor for Torah and/or love. Psychology and neurobiology have shown that our memories drive how we live. This ritual then symbolizes an imperative to bring memory into life through sacred commitments to and love of God and other people.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Inauguration Benediction January 14, 2018
- Statement about the President’s Islamophobic Tweets December 1, 2017
- Pray for Healing, Fight for Justice: A Response to the Sutherland Springs Mass-Shooting November 6, 2017
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017