Rahtzah, hand washing, is the bridge between story and feast. Story is about memory; the meal, life. Water is often used as a metaphor for Torah and/or love. Psychology and neurobiology have shown that our memories drive how we live. This ritual then symbolizes an imperative to bring memory into life through sacred commitments to and love of God and other people.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- Welcome Akiva Betzalel Knopf October 2, 2017
- Extremists for Love – Yom Kippur 2017 October 1, 2017
- Three Essentials to Pack for Your Journey – Kol Nidrei 2017 October 1, 2017
- After Charlottesville, Be a Light – Rosh Hashanah 2017 September 24, 2017
- Here’s the Advice I Would Give to New Rabbis… June 25, 2017