Rahtzah, hand washing, is the bridge between story and feast. Story is about memory; the meal, life. Water is often used as a metaphor for Torah and/or love. Psychology and neurobiology have shown that our memories drive how we live. This ritual then symbolizes an imperative to bring memory into life through sacred commitments to and love of God and other people.
Read Rabbi Knopf’s Recent Posts
- 30 Days of Liberation 2017 April 14, 2017
- Illumin8 2016 December 27, 2016
- Remarks at Interfaith Standing Together Press Conference December 1, 2016
- From Great to Good: Rosh Hashanah Day 2, 5777 October 11, 2016
- One Community, One Campus: Rosh Hashanah Day 1, 5777 October 5, 2016